Friday, 26 June 2009

And the winner is....

Congratulations Jessica! Twilight is going home to you. In your comment you mentioned that you'd make a swallowtail shawl out of it, that would be amazing! I would love to see the finished result!

I actually had to pick a winner twice, I assigned a number to everyone who commented and then picked a number from a hat. The first number I picked was number 5, so when I checked who's comment that was it ended up being my little brother Vince! I call him my little brother, but he's not that little, he's less than a year and a half younger than me. Vincent is my biggest fan, he lives in Vancouver (I'm in Montreal) he reads my blog and always leaves me comments. I love it, it makes me feel closer to him because I miss him when he's so far away. He has a great blog all about his life as a masters student and a triathlete. At any rate, he doesn't knit, and has zero use for a lovely skein of sock yarn, so I vetoed him as winner. I can't believe he actually won!

Thanks so much to everyone who commented, it was really fun to get feedback from people. Because I enjoyed it so much, we're doing another giveaway. Same principle as the last one, leave me a comment (if you include your e-mail address it makes it easier for me to get in touch with you to tell you that you've won!) I'll pick a winner next Friday.

This weeks giveaway is two 50g skeins of sock yarn in a lovely turquoise colourway that sadly has no name. Feel free to leave a suggestion for a name in the comments! Back when I was experimenting I was dyeing in 50 g skeins, with the two of them, you'll have plenty of yardage to make socks, a scarf, a shall, a baby sweater, you name it.


I'm particularly fond of this colourway, blue has always been my favorite colour, and especially blues that lean towards turquoise.

Girasole is coming along, but despite my race to see it finished I've had to put it on hold for the last couple of days. It's been hot here! The weather said that it was 30C, feels like 37C. That's too hot for big wooly blanket knitting, so instead I've been swatching.

I think I'm going to design a sweater using the textured stitch shown above. It'll be my first design and I'm very excited about it! My swatch has just finished blocking and now I'm going to try and remember how to do math so I can figure out how to design a sweater! I'll keep you posted.

I've also tried my hand at designing my first sock! Here she is in progress. I'm quite pleased with it and think that it could look pretty great when it's all done and blocked.


Check out Connie's blog over at Pick Up Sticks, she's putting me to shame by knitting her Girasole out of Tanis Fiber Arts Aran weight in Chestnut. Why didn't I think of that!? I can't wait to see this beauty finished!

17 comments:

  1. Ooh! Teal!
    This yarn would be a great present for my friend Emily. Teal is her favorite color, and she's defending her PhD in August. Lovely teal yarn would be the perfect graduation gift... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS CONTEST IS Bull S#&T! I won fair and square!

    I'm still counting myself a winner. This makes me 2/2 for online blog contest! WOO!

    See you in 1 MONTH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. French Connection (Ravelry)26 June 2009 19:45

    I am a huge fan of your yarns. I started off using the fingering weight, was thrilled to see aran, and now to have DK and lace - well, bliss!
    Though I always lean toward blues and blue-greens as well, I must say I also fell in love with the color "Sand" when I saw it at the Loop Cafe in Halifax.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sweet[dot]vanjula[at]gmail[dot]com26 June 2009 20:48

    Sardegna Blu. (Italian for Sardinian Blue. It reminds me of the water off the coast. Gorgeous.)

    And might I add, that is a gorgeous, gorgeous colour. It'd make a stunning Ishbel, and I will find me some when it's available. Mmmmmm.

    Vanjula

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the yarn, but I can't think of a name suggestion right now (I love how your sock is coming along, too).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't think of a name but I am obsessed with teals and turquoise right now and still need some yarn for a Milkweed Shawl. (melinastackelberg@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think you should call it "lapis lazuli". wikipedia defines it as "a relatively rare, semi-precious stone that has been prized since antiquity for its intense blue color."

    i made my first ever socks with your sock yarn and i enjoyed knitting with them so much. they are so soft and has a nice stretch to them. perfect for gauge-impaired knitters like me.

    (kquerijero@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How about Azure Sea?
    Thanks for sharing!
    Lisa in Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous color. Reminds me of Navajo weaving here in Arizona. So, Navajo Blue or Southwestern Blue is what I would name it. Lovely.... Tina

    ReplyDelete
  10. jane_wolfe@earthlink.net28 June 2009 20:56

    Love that teal color. I'm not sure what I'd name the yarn but I'd love a chance to knit with it. I believe I'd make an Ishbel shawl.


    Nebraska Knitter

    ReplyDelete
  11. Since I already admitted to stalking you via blog, i am de-lurking to suggest that if I win this contest:
    a) you should name it Turquoise Teenie, or Teenie Teal. Your choice.
    b) you need to come over and teach me how to knit it, with Stella.

    Deal?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, another contest :) Sounds good to me. That color is gorgeous. A colorway name...? Hmmm! I'll get back to you on that one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the new blue colour and I kind of like the name Bright Blue Eyes for it. People with that colour eyes (especially babies!) enchant me.

    I'm a huge fan of your yarns and have completely fallen in love. I discovered them at The Loop in Halifax.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous color
    Blues over Miami?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Muchacha / elilap [AT]yahoo[DOT]com2 July 2009 17:09

    My suggestion for a name is «Glacier» because sometimes the colour of ice looks like blue!

    ReplyDelete
  16. "calm, cool, collected" but I guess that's a bit too long for a name. Love the yarn, fingers crossed

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great fabric made by that stitch-- I always love subtle textures in a garment instead of more ostentatious details. I look forward to seeing it shape up...

    Re: the yarn-- it sort of reminds me of a grackle in the sunlight (http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/site/members/SpecialFeatures/grackle_low.jpg, for example), but grackle isn't exactly a very obvious colourway name. Gorgeous yarn, though, as always!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment! I love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to answer questions right here in the comments, so if you ask a question, be sure to check back because the answer might be here waiting for you! If you have a really specific question that deserves a more in depth answer be sure to leave your e-mail address in your comment so I can get in touch with you.