Monday, 25 January 2010

Handspun BSJ

I'm repeating photo's again... is that a bad thing to do in a blog?

Here's the roving I started with:



Whispers in the wind colourway by dkknits. Back in July I spun it into 270yds of roughly dk weight yarn:



And this weekend I knit it into my first handspun baby surprise jacket. This is an awesome pattern for using a single skein of handspun yarn. This colourway is so multifaceted when it's knit up into simple garter stitch. The colours and tones seem to fluidly change in every stitch.


Garter stitch has the amazing ability to make what seemed like glaring mistakes in the skein of yarn to look like intentional hand made charm. It hides all flaws. Which is exactly what I need, my handspun is still far from perfect!


This little sweater is still missing buttons, but that's not a problem because I don't have a recipient for it yet. It will just sit in my "knitted gifts" drawer until someone I know and love has a baby that needs to be gifted a handspun sweater and then I'll go searching for buttons!

8 comments:

  1. I love it!

    It's so light and airy (color-wise) but also warm and fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of a Monet painting! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty pretty!

    Just picked up that pattern (book) this fall, but I'm a little intimidated by it! :D Yours looks great!

    (P.s. I may need to steal your idea of a "present drawer" -- I find I want to make things with no idea of recipient. And they are not things I need/want for myself. Now I just need an empty drawer....)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is simply gorgeous! Both the spun yarn and the BSJ. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My Gosh Tanis it turned out awesome! I just love that little sweater pattern, it makeS up soo cute. I also wanted to tell you I just love the Deep Sea Yellow Label I got in the post the other day. It already is knitted into half an Aestlight shawl. Your yarn is just gorgeous!! :)
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so beautiful!! You inspire me. I love that colorway too:-)
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful yarn. Darling sweater.

    Nebraska Knitter

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way your baby surprise jacket turned out. What is the weight of your handspun and what size needles did you use? I recently used this pattern with sock yarn and size 2 needles and the sweater turned out quite small but very nice. It is pictured on my blog on an 18" doll if you'd like to see it. Gita

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment! I love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to answer questions right here in the comments, so if you ask a question, be sure to check back because the answer might be here waiting for you! If you have a really specific question that deserves a more in depth answer be sure to leave your e-mail address in your comment so I can get in touch with you.