Friday 9 March 2012

Blank Canvas Baby Sweater Pattern

4 Seasons Baby Sweater

Once I started knitting these adorable little baby sweaters, I just couldn't stop (I'm currently working on my third!) I knit the striped version below first. I used leftover skeins of Purple Label Cashmere Sock yarn and because I wanted it to be a pullover I designed it to feature a wide boat neck so it would be extra easy to pull over a wiggly baby head. It became extremely evident to me that this little sweater was the perfect canvas for loads of fun colourwork that would take this simple shape and elevate it to a work of art!

Blank Canvas infant sweater

With that in mind I designed this sweater to work with my 4 Seasons Hat pattern. I chose to knit up a sample using the Spring motifs, but wouldn't the Summer kit make the best baby girl sweater ever? I'll admit, the colourwork version takes this super simple project and elevates it to be a bit more of an investment of time and skill, but the results are well worth it in my opinion. Any mother lucky enough to receive a sweater this precious is sure to cherish it forever.

4 Seasons Baby Sweater

This pattern is available for free! I've written it up in one size to fit a 0-3 month old baby. One hat kit is enough to make one sweater. Or, dig through your stash of leftover sock yarn and knit an adorable striped version!


Blank Canvas infant sweater

Ravelry pattern page here.