Thursday, 8 March 2012

Yarn House

I spent a good part of the day on Tuesday taking yarn portraits. This is my super pro set up:

Photo station

It involves a dining room table, an empty flower pot, a piece of white bristol board, piles and piles of yarn and *hopefully* really good natural light streaming in the sliding glass doors at the end of the dining room. Today I got lucky, the photo's came out really well, the yarn all looks great. What do you think?

Orange Label Chestnut

Lovely right? The yarn that I was photographing is a new base... it's amazing and I love it and I'll be sharing all the details very soon!

I've been thinking long and hard about some changes that I want to make to my office. I need more yarn storage, however it's quite difficult to plan since piles of yarn are always coming in and going out. It's never constant! Every single day we dye yarn, I organize it, put it in piles and label it, then ship it out. At the beginning of the day the shelves may be empty, then they fill up, then they empty again, it's impossible to keep track of. I don't really mind since I love being surrounded by piles of yarn, and it's kind of fun to have an ever changing decor. 

the view from my desk

Above was the view from my desk last week, below was the view this morning. I set up a small shelving unit that I'm going to put in my closet to store packaging materials and labels, but I have to clean out the closet first... so while the shelving unit is sitting in the middle of the room you better believe it's gonna get filled with yarn! Now all that yarn has been labeled and bagged, ready to be shipped, and the shelves now house a new assortment of colourful skeins. Things are never dull around here!

the view from my desk

18 comments:

  1. i think i'm drooling looking at all that yarn :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. not dull at all! wow, I could take one of each - thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to gather all that yarn up and put it in a massive pile on the floor, and then jump into it!! that would be a knitter's dream ball pit- a 'skein pit'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! I could stare at these pictures all day long!! How do you even get any work done when surrounded by such gorgeous yarns?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks all yummy and pretty and a great way to spend each day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There will never be a lack of knitting inspiration as long as those shelves are there :)
    Beautiful. I love all these little insights into your day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a ton of yarnie goodness! I can't wait to find out what the new base is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I think the photography came out great; I want to squish that yarn so hard.
    And I think your yarn storage leaves me weak at the knees. love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Swoon. What a gorgeous view. And I'm with Julie -- bring on the "skein pit"! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now, that's what I call "a view"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool! I think I have those same shelves in my apartment (not quite as full of yarn. . .). Can't wait to see the new base!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I wish I had an office like this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your photo set-up! I think it's easy enough I could do it. :) Add bristol board to the shopping list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum just doesn't cut it, but wow, that looks like a bliss kind of life to me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummy, it's fun to see your set-up. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I want to jump right into those pictures!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment! I love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to answer questions right here in the comments, so if you ask a question, be sure to check back because the answer might be here waiting for you! If you have a really specific question that deserves a more in depth answer be sure to leave your e-mail address in your comment so I can get in touch with you.