Monday 16 December 2013

A recipe - Purly {London} Fog

IMG_8545
IMG_8550
IMG_8553
I mentioned the other day that I had a new favourite hot drink. Up until now I had been a die hard coffee girl. I love myself an afternoon cappuccino. But then I was introduced to the London Fog (forever called a "Purly Fog" in my mind since I had my first at the Purple Purl). I'm sure that with a quick google search you'll find a million versions of this same recipe, but just to save you the trouble, here's how I make mine at home.

Ingredients:
vanilla simple syrup
Earl Grey tea
steamed milk

Vanilla simple syrup:
1 1/4 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

In a saucepan, combine water and sugars and boil for 3 minutes, until sugars are completely dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes before stirring in vanilla extract. That's it! This syrup could be used for lots of things, not just these Purly Fogs. I keep mine in a mason jar in the fridge, though I'm not certain refrigeration is necessary.

Toss tea bag in a big mug and fill mug half way with boiling water. Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla syrup. Fill mug with steamed milk. Ta-da! 

I have a cappuccino machine, that's how I steam my milk, but I recently made these beverages at my parents place and used a milk frother like this and it worked perfectly! 

Enjoy!